Classic Tomato Soup
The easiest, best-tasting tomato soup, perfect for your summer tomatoes.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil plue more for drizzling
- 1 lb onions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 3 lbs tomatoes cut into pieces
- ¼ bunch basil (optional) plus more for serving
- Parmesan rind optional
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepot on medium heat. Add onions, garlic and 1/2 tsp salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, basil, parm rind (if using) and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are very tender, and the liquid has reduced slightly, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove basil stems and parm rind and blend until smooth. Refrigerate up to 5 days.